Thursday, March 24, 2005

Buddy's Wings

Buddy’s Wings


I was born under an oak tree,
My mother was there,
And so were you,
As a young boy.

We were friends forever,
Since the day I was born,
You, a knight in shining armor,
I, your noble steed.

Or, you were Robin Hood,
Taking from the rich and giving to the poor,
And I was your “MerriHorse, “
Rescuing you from greedy Prince John.

You said you loved me,
You said I was beautiful,
You said I was worth the world.

Until you grew up,
Until that day,
When everything went wrong.

The day I lost the race,
But 2nd place isn’t so bad,
You thought 2nd was horrible.

I wasn’t worth as much,
My stud fees were cheaper,
And I’m sorry I lost the race.

I thought we could forget about it,
I thought we were still friends,
I thought wrong.

You ignored me,
You never gave me treats,
I was a thing in the past to you.

I no longer ran races,
I no longer sired foals,
Because you took those things away from me,
And I was still young!

Instead you left me in a pasture,
With three older horses,
I waited and waited for you,
But you never came.

Then your niece came,
She liked me,
And decided to ride me.

She saddled me up,
Then mounted,
You forgot,
I didn’t remember how to let you ride.

I walked into a field,
With her on my back,
I was so nervous.

Something was under my blanket,
It itched and it hurt,
It was a thorn.

I kicked,
And I bucked,
Then, your niece fell off!

You didn’t like that,
So you loaded me into a trailer,
And drove me away.

It was storming,
We drove for a long time,
Then we arrived at a dark and gloomy place,
You lead me inside.

I trustingly followed you,
I didn’t like that place,
The horses and ponies looked hungry and tired.

You had sold me,
My best friend,
You got $500 from a heavyset mean looking man.

Then you came to my new stall,
A tear rolled down your cheek,
As you sadly said,
“I’m sorry, Buddy “

I nickered to you as you left,
You looked at me sadly,
And left.


My new owners were mean,
They beat me and starved me,
I found out from a pony,
I was at an illegal Slaughter House.

When I was 14 years old,
The slaughter was discovered,
And every horse or pony that survived,
Was happily adopted.

A teenage girl adopted me,
And trained me for jumping,
I love to jump!

We competed all over the world,
We lost some,
But she didn’t care.

She said I looked like her father’s old horse,
But that horse was sold,
And I wondered,
Was that us?

Her father came to visit,
A man who was crippled from a riding accident,
IT WAS YOU!!!
I neighed and galloped to you.

Tears streamed down your face,
Onto my mane,
We were together again!

You never left me again,
We were always together,
And I was happy.


But happiness couldn’t last forever,
And I got colic,
At my old age,
I didn’t have much of a chance.

You cared for me day and night,
But you knew I had to go,
So you said a prayer,

“Ok God. You can have your boy.
But make sure he gets his wings.
So he can fly with you on his back.”
You sobbed and fell asleep crying on my shoulder.

That night I died,
You cried for hours,
I did make it to heaven,
And I miss you.

You buried me under the oak tree,
Where I was born,
That wonderful day.

The next morning,
I laid one of my feathers on my grave,
So you would know,
I got my wings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This poem is not a real story. BUT it is close enough to the real thing. Not all Horses or ponies are as lucky as Buddy. Some never live past slaughter. Some were born in a Slaughter house, or put in one soon after birth. Mustangs and wild burros are caught and SOMETIMES sent to slaughter. Slaughter is horrible and mean to horses, ponies, donkeys, and burros. They are sent there and ground up into meat, or turned into… GLUE!!!
Save the seals? I’d sooner save a pony! There are billions of boys and girls all around USA Who love horses. Why not adopt a mustang. They can be trained! I bought a mustang before he went to the glue/meathouse. He is older and can’t be trained. But he’s the calmest and sweetest horse on earth! He is pure mustang! Caught in Nevada! His name is Bojack. And he’s nine years old, Living at home, with my 3 other trained horses.
You can adopt a mustang cheaply. Cheap for the average USA citizen. ( $200- $2000 ) I SAVED A MUSTANG, AND I’M PROUD!!!


SAVEING HORSES, SAVEING LIVES!!!!
STOP THE SLAUGHTER,
END THE ABUSE!!!

Victoria
Age 11

4 Comments:

Blogger WellDigger said...

Super poem !
I wouldn't give up on Bojack though. You never know what could happen. Sometimes it just takes the right trainor at the right place at the right time.

5:01 PM  
Blogger JACIII said...

this is victoria
i don't know 'bout that. He doesn't bite or kick the other horses. Fancy kicked him in the shoulder earlier.

5:09 PM  
Blogger JACIII said...

this is victoria.
Thanks 4 your compliments. I appreciate them. I'll have a story some time soon. Besides writing, i also did sing a song in front of the whole school...

(Note from Dad- She's not bragging or anything......)

6:12 PM  
Blogger WellDigger said...

Nah she'd NEVER brag.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home